My VM Build

Reflux still design and discussion

My VM Build

Postby JustStillin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Thought i'd keep a log of my VM build so here it goes:

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to distilling. I'm starting with a VM to make vodka and then perhaps flavour it.

Design:
No picture, just a description so far.
The design is the VM still from the Nixon book. Like here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=790#p8864

SS Keg boiler (heat by Gas).
2" column 1500mm high.
column ends in a 2" to 1" reducer, into 1"Tee then another 1" to 2" reducer to bring it back to 2" pipe, which will hold the 6" long double wound condenser.
The take off will be the 1" Tee into SS gate valve into 90degree bend then 1" to 1/2" reducer.
This feeds into my liebig (1/2" with 3/4" water jacket, 24" long)

I still need to buy a gas burner, the 1" SS Gate valve and a tri-clamp to attach the column to the keg.

So far i've built the Liebig and done the first inner wind of the coil.
I'll post some pics when i've finished the coil.

Thanks to all the posts here i'm pretty confident of what to do.
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

Re: My VM Build

Postby JustStillin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 pm

A little has happened since yesterday, i've finished winding my first coil!!! :D

Thought i'd post a pic for all to see. I'm pretty happy with it, only took me about 2 hours!! :lol: I used Hookline's method with the two mandrels (no salt), wow thats rough on the hands (i work in an office, so my hands are soft as a baby's bot bot).

I haven't cleaned it yet, just finished winding it.

IMG_20111118_202506_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustStillin

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 pm

That's a really good looking coil mate, cant wait to see the rest of the build :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JustStillin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks Mac.

I visited Geordi today, fantastic service, and wow, what an assortment of stainless goodies. Got most of the stainless bits i need, but only bought a stainless ball valve for now, i almost choked when they said $75 for a gate valve, so the ball will have to do till i can source a cheaper 1" gate valve.

Now for decision time, which design, 1" Tee, or 2" Tee reducing straight down to 1" before the valve. What do you think? I originally was going to copy the nixon book (1" tee), but now i'm not so sure. I'm leaning towards the 2" Tee coz it will look cleaner, but then do i need to put something in there to centre the reflux? With the 1" Tee, the Tee will do the reflux centreing.

Please excuse how dirty the copper is, got it from the scrap yard and haven't cleaned it up yet (the coil will be inside a section of 2" copper, just haven't cut the pipe yet).

IMG_20111118_202402_s.jpg
IMG_20111118_202246_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustStillin

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I would go with the 2" tee ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Swede » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:52 am

What Mac said, I've built a vm too, and it worked great with a straight tee, I reduced after the valve, and if you have the valve on the downward part instead of on the branch, it gives a "heads reservoir" of sorts, just my experience.

This is how I assembled the branch and valve on mine, and it worked good when concentrating heads, the valve would retain a quantity of fluid as the column was run in full reflux for heads compression, periodic draining would purge it and eventually all heads were removed without fiddling with a slow drip-drip-drip rate.

Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Postby JustStillin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:06 pm

I went with the 2" tee, and here it is:

IMG_20111121_090106_s.jpg
IMG_20111121_090206_s.jpg
IMG_20111121_090049_s.jpg

Swede, thats a good idea, i'll see how it is like this for a while and maybe build another one with your design to see how they compare.

Next steps.. add a thermometer port and the cooling connections and a give it a good clean.

i've also started my first TPW. Its in the kitchen bubbling away for now (wife was away for the weekend so haven't been asked to move it out of the kitchen yet :-) )
JustStillin

Postby eminiM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Swede wrote:This is how I assembled the branch and valve on mine, and it worked good when concentrating heads, the valve would retain a quantity of fluid as the column was run in full reflux for heads compression, periodic draining would purge it and eventually all heads were removed without fiddling with a slow drip-drip-drip rate.

I've never heard of anyone removing heads like that. I have used a similar setup and found that it really didn't gather much liquid at all after the copper heated up and the column stabilized. I recently built a new 2" column for a buddy and build a different configuration. I'll get a photo up and explain details later today.

Cheers
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby eminiM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:51 am

External reflux return line allows for an LM drain if desired. There is a 90 upturn in the return line to provide a vapor lock inside the column. The reflux condenser is on a union to accommodate various angle adjustments and there is a bit of packing inside the union branch to provide some back pressure. I cannot open the VM valve past 1/3 without destabilizing the column so I plan on removing a bit of that packing. Ideally for the hearts cut the valve should be wide open in the beginning to allow for a wide latitude of adjustment.
This configuration works really well. The external reflux return is Harry's idea. I really like the high purity silicone hose because you can see the reflux volume and compare it to your takeoff rate from the product condenser.
IMG_1307.JPG
eminiM

Postby JustStillin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Thats a good looking bit of gear eminiM, not a design i've seen before, giving me ideas for my next build (can't believe i'm talking about a next build already, haven't even used this first one yet). The silicon return line is an excellent idea like you said, you can see how much reflux there is. What's inside the condenser, is it a shotgun?

Status update:
I've completed the build, bought a 3 ring burner for heating, does a really good job.

I've put a vinegar wash through it and given it a clean inside. Haven't polished up the outside yet, so now new pics yet.

Can't wait for the TPW to finish bubbling so i can try it out.

I went to the local HBS to get the bits a pieces i need (alcoholmeter, hydrometer etc). He asked me what i was fermenting, i wish i had a camera, should have seen his face when i said a Tomato Paste Wash.. "what the hell did you put tomato paste in it for, whats that supposed to do" :text-lol:
JustStillin

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:48 am

Looks the goods just stillin. Let us know how she performs. ;)
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby eminiM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:27 am

JustStillin wrote: What's inside the condenser, is it a shotgun?

A double helix coil

JustStillin wrote:I went to the local HBS to get the bits a pieces i need (alcoholmeter, hydrometer etc). He asked me what i was fermenting, i wish i had a camera, should have seen his face when i said a Tomato Paste Wash.. "what the hell did you put tomato paste in it for, whats that supposed to do" :text-lol:

:lol:

Lookin' forward to your report
eminiM

Postby JustStillin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Looks heaps better now its clean.

TPW is still bubbling away.
IMG_20111126_141812_s.jpg

IMG_20111126_141854_s.jpg

IMG_20111126_141906_s.jpg
JustStillin

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Mate that looks a million bucks, a job well done & even the olddog himself would be proud of the shine on that thing :clap: :dance: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Mmmmm..Mmmm....! That looks pretty ;)
Nice job mate :clap:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby devotus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Looks great!!
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby JustStillin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks all, i'm pretty chuffed myself with how it turned out :D , might have to make another one (maybe a bubble column, when i can figure out how they work.. thats another story).

A little update, my first TPW has reached 990, so hopefully i'll have time this weekend to make it my first batch through the still. I've done two vinegar washes through it to clean, so as per Kiwi's advice, this first TPW won't be a keeper, just a practicer.

Thanks for the encouragement and answering my questions so far, sure there'll be more questions to come when I try the TPW through it.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

PS: I have a little feeling there'll be more stills in my shed before long (it was fun building it). Has anyone else found them to multiply after the first appears? ;)

JS
JustStillin

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Nice job Stillin......your right, the buggers multiply. seems like only yesterday I was building my first pot still to fit my T500 boiler. Then I got the urge to build a bigger pot still in 2.5 inch to fit a keg , then the Bubbler happened, Bits of copper laying around the shed everywhere, cant go past the scrap yard without pulling up for a sticky beak...where will it all end :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 am

Advise to keep the results of the cleaning run. Stick it in a couple of bottles and it's there to water back down and rerun for the next cleaning run of the next modification/build.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby JustStillin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 am

I did my first sprirt run today using Kiwi's tutorial (i've put the output into a bottle and marked it not for drinking like 5Star said). I used the 23L TPW that i started two weeks and got about 2.1Litres out of it (thats when the temperature started to rise, i didn't collect anything after that).

When the column stabilized, the temp sat at a constant 79.1 for the whole run until the tails started. (I know the temp is out, it showed a bit over 101 when i was just running water through it).

With the valve full open and the heat right up it maxed out at 800ml/min. Think i might need to change something to get a higher output rate, i'm using a 3 ring gas burner so i think there's plenty of heat, maybe too much restriction in the ball valve (its not a full bore) or the column packing is too tight? I've been told to put a scrubber under the reflux coil to direct more vapour to the output, i'll try this next time and see how it changes the output rate.

As for strength of spirit, well a picture will suffice here :D

IMG_20111203_110447_s.jpg

Story to add:
I started up the boiler and sat there watching it for about 40mins listening and watching and waiting for something to happen, the temp was rising about 1degree per min and i could hear it boiling. Had the cooling running and thought it would be safe to go inside and get a snack. Came back out 5 mins later.... vapour streaming out the top of the column!!! :shock: :o :shock: .... oh shit, its gunna blow, where's the gas bottle.. where's the fire extinguisher.. wheres water the hose....!!!! quick check the cooling system... just steam coming out the output... turn the water up... vapour stops... phewwww ... :doh: :doh:
Lesson learnt... be on the safe side and start with a higher water flow and stay and watch!
JustStillin

Next

Return to Reflux Stills