My First Still...

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: My First Still...

Postby Spark » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 am

Feel free to ask away mate. I dare say that your questions might help me aswell.
Spark

equipment: Nothing Yet :(

Postby maheel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 am

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3714

Ross at craftbrewer might be able to sell you a keg in Brisbane

here is one one gumtree for $30
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff- ... Z337998928

here for $100 (i would offer a lot less...)
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff- ... Z337680507
maheel

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Spark, many will disagree with me but if your stuck and want an easy way into the hobby you could buy a T500 setup.
Doing this has taught me many things and got me drinking some "good" hooch, upgrading will come soon (after 2 years) but its a foot in the door.
One must drive a Datsun before a Lambo :laughing-rolling:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Ahhh the ol' Datto 120y, my first girl friend and drive in picture theaters :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

A little brown muscat & some chips, good times :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby photoman1966 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 am

Thank you Spark, today I have visited a scrap, junk yard, where many junk for people is a useful for others ;) , I bought a 30 liter keg that all what they got, that would be a good idea for you Spark to visit a scrap yard and look around you may find one and they sell it by weight, this way you may pay much less.
Im planning to go for all stainless steel column and condenser, my column to be :) , is going to be 2” stainless schedule 40. The condenser im planning to make a shotgun type with 3/8’ tubes, with collecting plates. Now, about the height of the column im thinking (no one knows what to expect when photoman start thinking :think: ) to make it adjustable by Lathing the wall of the 2” pipe by 2mm and make male female connectors. that making sense?? Or im out of it.
Cheers
photoman1966

equipment: Custom Made Beer Keg with 120 cm tower

Postby Spark » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 am

QLD.Andy wrote:Spark, many will disagree with me but if your stuck and want an easy way into the hobby you could buy a T500 setup.
Doing this has taught me many things and got me drinking some "good" hooch, upgrading will come soon (after 2 years) but its a foot in the door.
One must drive a Datsun before a Lambo :laughing-rolling:

Yea its not a bad option but my brother has had a T500 for sometime now and is kinda why I want to do things better :P
Spark

Postby Spark » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 pm

i got most of the big stuff today 3" copper + fittings and a keg + elements but the more i get into this project the more daunting it becomes :s So im not sure when or if i will ever get around to getting this finished as i am going away for a while and probably wont have enough free time until Easter..
Last edited by Spark on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spark

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Don't worry Spark,it'll all still be there when you get back :handgestures-thumbupleft: Just remember "Rome wasn't built in a day".....(onlybecause I wasn't the foreman on the job :laughing-rolling: )
Time and patience (so I'm led to believe),and you'll get there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby SBB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am

Spark wrote:the more i get into this project the more daunting it becomes

Just do one small job at a time and dont be afraid to ask questions..............I felt the same way on my bubbler build but I fininished it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Modernity » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 am

Spark,

While you are away it might be a good chance to get into a few You Tube vids on soldering and such. Even if the vids aren't exactly what you are doing you will get to see how different tradesman set the job up. Getting the soldering job setup before you start is the real trick with soldering everything together nice, straight and quickly. Most will tell you; the less time you have the heat on the job the better the solder joins are likely to be.
Plus if you work out the order you want everything done in and write a list it makes the solder up much easier. I will spend more time doing the setup then the actual soldering in most cases.
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:42 pm

+1
Plan your work, set the job out, and think through it, don't rush, be in the right frame of mind, take little steps ......measure twice, Mark out accurately, cut once.........spend most of your time preparing the joint for soldering , the soldering will be quik, don't prepare and you will end up getting frustrated and fucking the whole thing up
IMHO there is NOTHING worse than getting 3/4 through a build and fucking up and starting again. Do it properly and you only have to do it once :-D
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills