Stripping UJSM with reflux still? sound right?

Reflux still design and discussion

Stripping UJSM with reflux still? sound right?

Postby bundyftw » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 am

Just finished stripping my first 50L batch of UJSM with my still spirits brand reflux still, (not super reflux as i first thought) and would appreciate some advice on a couple issues.
firstly the SG of the wash was 990, all good, smelling awesome.

first 25L boil i removed the cooling hose to the column turned on water at 40 degrees etc but the condenser ran red hot temps around 95 in the column, reinstalled hose halfway thru run, pulled about 1.8L of spirit ranging from 55%-30% (at 30% drops stopped) column still hot, condenser hot but cooler down bottom. water flow wasnt filling condenser obviously and coming straight out.

2nd 25l run i reinstalled all hoses, marble in column etc, temp still went straight up to 92 peaking round 96 with 600ml/minute water flow and offlow water temp felt about right on the finger. pulled 2L out of that with abv avg around 35%

I threw out 250ml foreshots, the first 800ml of hearts of each wash smells sweet as , the rest 2 odd litres smells like sweet but strong smelling tails feintly like nail polish.

maybe someone using the same equipment can advise whether this is about right volume, temps and alc result and the smell of the low wines is normal. I realise this equipment is reflux but my pot still project has stalled waiting on a refill of oxy gas, and wanted to get a bunch stripped while i have some time off.
all advice appreciated
bundyftw

equipment: 25L super reflux
Homemade Copper Boka LM (project)
Homemade Copper Pot still & liebig condenser

Re: Stripping UJSM with reflux still? sound right?

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 pm

So how do you think it went?

I bet your happy by now ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Reflux Stills