Orange cacoa nib

Orange cacoa nib

Postby RobMichelle » Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Hi all
Has anyone done an orange cacao nib gin?
If so would you share the recipes please?
I have searched around and can’t find a recipe as such. I have added cacao nib and orange peel and sugar to a pre made gin and made a liquer and it tasted pretty damn good to the wife and I, but, it leaves our mouths incredible dry and drinking a lot of water through the night, I’m hoping a good gin recipes incorporating the orange and cacao nib will solve this issue. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.
RobMichelle
Site Donor

equipment: Airstill

Re: Orange cacoa nib

Postby WoodyD40 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:09 am

RobMichelle wrote:Hi all
I have searched around and can’t find a recipe as such. I have added cacao nib and orange peel and sugar to a pre made gin and made a liquer and it tasted pretty damn good to the wife and I, but, it leaves our mouths incredible dry and drinking a lot of water through the night, I’m hoping a good gin recipes incorporating the orange and cacao nib will solve this issue. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Hey Rob. That sounds mighty fine type of gin. I wonder what it would be like if you put those ingredients into high ABV for 24 hrs, then run it through the air still, after watering it down to 40% ABV. I wonder if that would smooth it out somewhat.
WoodyD40
Site Donor

equipment: Air Still for Gin
65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters

Kegland 2" Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil) - retired

Postby RobMichelle » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:57 pm

WoodyD40 wrote:
RobMichelle wrote:Hi all

Hey Rob. That sounds mighty fine type of gin. I wonder what it would be like if you put those ingredients into high ABV for 24 hrs, then run it through the air still, after watering it down to 40% ABV. I wonder if that would smooth it out somewhat.

I think that is what I shall try, I am just completing spirit run with cornflake wash, then I have a nutrigrain spirit run to do not sure if either of these will suit a gun thou?
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:44 pm

Hi Rob, the best way to make a gin is steeping the crushed botanical's in some 40% neutral then run it thru a pot still. This is called a maceration where just about any combination of botanical's can used to get that loved drop.

So try out that method mate and i'm sure it won't take too long before your making top gin that everyone will love. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RobMichelle » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:18 pm

Thanks Brian il get some botanicals and give it a go
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby RobMichelle » Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:08 pm

So yesterday I made some of Odin easy gin as per his recipe then I did the same and added some cacao nib, 15g slightly crushed and a pinch of some uncrished, as the day wore on, and the older orange choc liquor kicked in I decided to add another 15g of uncrushed cacao nib to the the maceration, I have just finished running both these through the air still, I left the orange peel in first batch on distillation and removed the peel for distillation on the cacao one, proofed to 45% bottled and sitting in the cupboard for 5 weeks, hopefully it turns out awesome. What was left in pot after distilling the 400ml (backset I suppose) smelt and looked like a Milo concoction lol time will tell.
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby WoodyD40 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:41 pm

RobMichelle wrote:So yesterday I made some of Odin easy gin as per his recipe then I did the same and added some cacao nib, 15g slightly crushed and a pinch of some uncrished, as the day wore on, and the older orange choc liquor kicked in I decided to add another 15g of uncrushed cacao nib to the the maceration, I have just finished running both these through the air still, I left the orange peel in first batch on distillation and removed the peel for distillation on the cacao one, proofed to 45% bottled and sitting in the cupboard for 5 weeks, hopefully it turns out awesome. What was left in pot after distilling the 400ml (backset I suppose) smelt and looked like a Milo concoction lol time will tell.

Please tell me that you cheated and at least had a small sample for taste testing, so you can share if it worked or not. :teasing-neener:
WoodyD40
Site Donor

65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column

Postby RobMichelle » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:52 pm

IMG_4401.jpeg

Lol NO WoodyD40 made it bottled it and put it in cupboard, patience grass hopper lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:32 am

I would recommend avoiding the use of plastic bottles for storing or ageing of spirits. Ethanol is a solvent can leach chemicals from the plastic. Stick with glass to be safe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RobMichelle » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:49 am

Understood Thankyou will transfer today
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby Golly » Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:07 am

Not exactly orange cacao gin, but I did take inspiration from this post and am trying to make an orange and cacoa liqueur, similar to the Orange liqueur with coffee beans recipe that can be found on this site. Which, if you haven't tried, i highly recommend.
Golly

equipment: None yet. Looking at buying the Kegland Reflux still to run ontop of the Brewzilla 65L

Postby howard » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:26 pm

Golly wrote:Not exactly orange cacao gin, but I did take inspiration from this post and am trying to make an orange and cacoa liqueur, similar to the Orange liqueur with coffee beans recipe that can be found on this site. Which, if you haven't tried, i highly recommend.

i had a good look for that recipe, any pointers to where it is please?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby howard » Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:33 pm

i'm in for making this.
after i find the recipe that golly alluded to, i will also consider these other recipes and try something.
1) 250mls gin
15gms cacao nibs
Infuse for at least 12 hours, shaking occaisionally.
when preferred taste is reached, strain into clean bottle (as opposed to dirty bottle i suppose :smile: )
2) sipsmith orange & cacao gin
has 50% more juniper & more licorice root for extra sweetness.
one site says that sipsmith distill with orange blossom & cacao nibs, before steeping with orange zest prior to bottling.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby WoodyD40 » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:26 pm

RobMichelle wrote:
IMG_4401.jpeg

Lol NO WoodyD40 made it bottled it and put it in cupboard, patience grass hopper lol

not trying to steel your thread Rob - but here is my cupboard of ready to drink product.

Gins on the far right (3 using essence, and 2 using botanicals)
there is also Ouzo, Kahlua, Rose Vodka, tequila.
and 4 types of scotch, also using essence's.

A bit of variety which was my anticipation when starting this hobby.
I am hoping that long term, nothing on that shelf will be made with essence, but done the right (hard) way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WoodyD40
Site Donor

Postby RobMichelle » Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:56 pm

It’s not mine WoodyD40 lol
So neat well done :clap: it’s an interesting learning curve that I’m sure will never stop
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby RobMichelle » Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:16 pm

Ok bit of an update, I’m sipping on the gin with added cocao nib at the moment, there’s a hint of the cocao in the aftertaste which is nice in my opinion anyway, il try this again once I do some vodka wash but think il up the cocoa nib another 20 grams to 50 grams all up see how we go in a couple of weeks, just fermenting out some stout then il do another batch of wash.
RobMichelle
Site Donor

Postby Golly » Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:15 am

i had a good look for that recipe, any pointers to where it is please?
[/quote]

I'm back. The name of the thread is 44 - French Orange & Coffee Liqueur

Because its 44 coffee beans in neutral for 44 days.
Golly

equipment: None yet. Looking at buying the Kegland Reflux still to run ontop of the Brewzilla 65L

Return to General Gin Chat