still maintainence & sulphides (renamed)

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: still maintainence & sulphides (renamed)

Postby Urrazeb » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:Top thread Mac,

Got me thinking about how to get the best out of the still without having to pull everthing apart and scrub etc.

At the end of the day there's no foolproof way to avoid the need for cleaning, build-up will occur.
You can always add more copper to the internal surface area and prolong the need for a clean, but the eventual clean cannot be avoided.

What would be interesting is to note at what point during continous use and only a water rinse in between, at what point the user could detect the carryover of sulfides into their drink.
We may find we are over-cleaning, until you do the test I guess you won't know?

Mac, how many runs did you put through and did you pick any flavour taints towards the end?

I think the colour is a dead give away mate, I check my plates after every few runs and would never let them get as bad as mac has in this example.

Being a whiskey drinker with a 5 plater there is always one clean plate to use as reference :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I got a few hundred litres to run before cleaning but the first clean will be as above- acid bath

I think if you run light flavours through to heavy flavours and have a system going, then dismantle and deep clean it after the last rum, this will see you through without over cleaning like some blokes
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby MacStill » Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Well I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out, time to put them back together and look after them a bit better :D

DSC_0386.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Come up nicely was there much scrubbing involved?

You should post the before pic as well, Before and after :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 pm

1 2many wrote:You should post the before pic as well, Before and after :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It was in the first post mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 19, 2014 6:58 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
1 2many wrote:You should post the before pic as well, Before and after :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It was in the first post mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I know :teasing-neener:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

1 2many wrote:Come up nicely was there much scrubbing involved?

I only used the dunny brush on the flat plates :oops: I couldnt find anything else except the mrs hair brush :naughty: but it worked ok, other than that no scrubbing at all. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Any results for the copper mesh :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Before

yuk.jpg

After

DSC_0387.jpg

:teasing-tease:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm

1 2many wrote:Any results for the copper mesh :-B

Fark you're a pushy bugger :teasing-nutkick:

Tommorow :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Damn your Photoshop skills have improved. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

1 2many wrote:Damn your Photoshop skills have improved. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

:scared-eek:

DSC_0364.JPG

:-B

DSC_0392.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 20, 2014 4:06 pm

The copper rolls look OK too, not bad for just a soak. I wonder how a citric acid ultrasonic bath would go on those rolls to get to the middle. :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue May 20, 2014 5:41 pm

For the new mesh I'd just stuff the packed section full, set it up in pot still config. and do a good cleaning run, as should be done with any new parts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue May 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Mac...
Thanks to you and this thread I now believe I know why my first and only 2 pot still runs tasted like shite!

My pot still was 100% stainless apart from my recycled reflux condenser that I used as a pre-condenser on my pot still...
I looked at it today and it looked awefully black...I soaked it in citric and black crap coated on the copper smelt just like the "taint" in my liquor!
So now I know what sulfides smell...and taste like :puke-huge:

Live and learn.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Ryno » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Mac,

What if the sulphides can be reduced or removed before distilling.

Im thinking just maybe you can add something to the wash to reduce the sulphides. Im sure I have heard of sulphides in drinking water and they removed them by adding a chemical. From memory it was an oxidising agent of some kind.
Ryno

equipment: 100 litre SS boiler
6 inch FSD (Blockhead) 4 Bubble Plate Still
500 mm packed section (filled with copper)
FSD Carter head on SS 60 litre boiler

Postby SBB » Wed May 21, 2014 7:38 pm

This post made me have a good look at the insides of my old Bubbler, those who have seen it will know I cant just pull it apart for a quick clean.
The top plate and surrounds are looking pretty black, The plate below and its surroundings are not as bad. The third plate down isn't as to bad, and the bottom one is still quite clean.
From what I'm seeing on mine it seems that most of the reaction between the copper and sulphides / sulphates ,is occurring in the top half of the column.
What ever the case I think its time for some sort of a clean up in there.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 pm

SBB wrote:This post made me have a good look at the insides of my old Bubbler, those who have seen it will know I cant just pull it apart for a quick clean.
The top plate and surrounds are looking pretty black, The plate below and its surroundings are not as bad. The third plate down isn't as to bad, and the bottom one is still quite clean.
From what I'm seeing on mine it seems that most of the reaction between the copper and sulphides / sulphates ,is occurring in the top half of the column.
What ever the case I think its time for some sort of a clean up in there.

Or is it because when you clean it the bottom gets cleaned better than the top? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 pm

SBB wrote:This post made me have a good look at the insides of my old Bubbler, those who have seen it will know I cant just pull it apart for a quick clean....

Recon you need to take off your sight glasses and lay it in a big bath of citric acid.

Seeing as it is a big bastard. You could lay a sheet of plastic in your bath tub and fullit up to cover it....Just an Idea as it would stop th acid corroding your bath tub...then pull the plug and give it good rinse
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I just bought 5kg of citric acid thanks to this thread.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Research & Development