Weldless 4 inch keg ferrule....

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Weldless 4 inch keg ferrule....

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Gotta be an engineer right ?

I have a design that's so much simpler, and more cost effective ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 pm

How would you get the 'bottom clamp' into the keg assuming it's greater than 4" in diameter? :wtf:

edit: there I go again not reading things properly :shifty:

Interested to see Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Brendan on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby woodduck » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks mac I went to all that trouble of typing this in depth analysis of this design with all these great ideas all to find out you have already replied and have something that already works. Dam in need to type faster. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm

I've got more designs on plan than for sale, the hard part is forking out coin for stuff people may not be interested in.

The harder part is sharing the designs so some miserable cunt who I wont name will knock it off and call it there own :))

I've actually got designs ready for production for both carlton & tooheys kegs for a completely weldless keg boiler solution ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:06 am

MacStill wrote:The harder part is sharing the designs so some miserable cunt who I wont name will knock it off and call it there own :))

Well we don't need to see it until it's produced and available in the store then. Got to protect your intellectual property :-B
Brendan

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 am

Interesting, but if this is easier and cheaper than getting a ferrule welded on I'll be VERY surprised...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby C2H6O » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am

I would definitely pay a little extra if i could do it myself. Its the organising someone, waiting for their availability dropping off and picking up that stops me from doing a lot of these things. Ha ha its kinda like im to lazy not to do it myself :))
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 am

C2H6O wrote:I would definitely pay a little extra if i could do it myself. Its the organising someone, waiting for their availability dropping off and picking up that stops me from doing a lot of these things. Ha ha its kinda like im to lazy not to do it myself :))

C2H6O...thats the kind of illogic I can relate to :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:05 am

I've had the tech drawings for over a year now and have learnt a lot since then, i'll re submit them to my supplier and see if they changed their mind about pricing.

It's not the parts that are costly, it's the mold to get the keg shape that's expensive, so there's a lot to weigh up as i dont want to spend $2k or more to have an unpopular part sitting here forever.... a bit of a catch 22 situation, but i'll have another look at it during the course of the week.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:49 am

yeah mate I get all that, it's a bit hard to explain the way I've got it drawn up but would make perfect sense if you could see it.

My ambition was to have a completely weldless keg with element ports, drain, fill port & still connection.... I'll forward my drawings to the supplier again and see what they come up with, but like I said it's the mold that's dear and not the actual parts.

Trouble is I need 4 different molds for the 4 different fittings, and back then 5 Star had no spare cash for these types of things, but now we're in a better position we might be able to relook at it again.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 pm

BourbonJunkie ......regardless of whether in hindsight , Mac may or may not have a product in his shop ( which would be a great idea) ...I think credits due where its due .

That's a clever way to get a fitting inside a hole smaller than the device that will secure it :handgestures-thumbupleft: ...Sure maybe there are other ways ....some maybe even cheaper ...but a "research and development" section of the forum is a perfect place to discuss and develop this .

Don't stop coming up with ideas because you think someone else has already probably done it .

Oh....Bet you liked fucking about with metal puzzles in your Xmas Crackers :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Well I've resubmitted the drawings, seems the other supplier was a little heavy handed on his pricing :angry-banghead:

Gimme 4 or 5 weeks & we'll have a complete weldless keg boiler system available, 1 2 many is going to shit his pants when he see's them after the hassles he had fitting 2" ferrules to a round keg :teasing-neener:

I'll show you all my copies of the drawings in a week or so once production starts, for guys with no welding options these fittings are perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm

MacStill wrote:I'll show you all my copies of the drawings in a week or so once production starts

Don't release that shit too early, or we'll see it on Alibaba . Image
Brendan

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Macstill wrote:Gimme 4 or 5 weeks & we'll have a complete weldless keg boiler system available, 1 2 many is going to shit his pants when he see's them after the hassles he had fitting 2" ferrules to a round keg :teasing-neener:

Yes I remember ~x( but you can't stop development in this game Mac. Looking forward to seeing the drawings

and I may be in for a couple if they suit. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Geeps » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:00 pm

MacStill wrote:Well I've resubmitted the drawings, seems the other supplier was a little heavy handed on his pricing :angry-banghead:

Gimme 4 or 5 weeks & we'll have a complete weldless keg boiler system available, 1 2 many is going to shit his pants when he see's them after the hassles he had fitting 2" ferrules to a round keg :teasing-neener:

I'll show you all my copies of the drawings in a week or so once production starts, for guys with no welding options these fittings are perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Faaaaaaaaaark Mac keep this up and you are going to have to add another star. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby MoonshineMatt » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Is this still going ahead Mac or did it end up costing too much?
MoonshineMatt

equipment: 4" inch 4 Plate Primus glasser.
2" Copper pot still
Essencia reflux still.

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah I've tried a few suppliers to get this going but haven't had much luck with the pricing :crying-blue:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Tanker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:37 pm

This never got off the ground then?
Tanker

equipment: Newbie, no equipment as yet

Postby RC Al » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Bit of a necro post..

The simple fact is you need a hole bigger than the 4" ferrule to get the nut in, on a standard keg this limits you to a 1" bsp nut, and impossible without welding for anything bigger

If you had a milk can or existing 6" opening fine, a ss 4" bsp nut starts at around $50, I dare say you wouldnt get much change out of $150-200 for the whole thing, makes welding look pretty attractive
Last edited by RC Al on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm

How bout a modified three/4/5 part tri clamp that has flex sideways to roll up in a ball smaller than its total circumference. Like a coiled snake one coil on top of next..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development