Element cover

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Element cover

Postby huntercg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi guys. Ive just got my keg back from a stainless place where I had a couple of threaded couplings welded on for the elements. I had planned on using a junction/ adaptable box as an element cover over the wiring as I saw it on somebodies build on the forum but I can’t find it now. Has anyone used a junction box as an element cover and if so how did you secure it to the keg?
huntercg

equipment: Keg Pot Still

Re: Element cover

Postby scythe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:42 am

Junction box might be the cheapest way but possibly not the best.

I would recommend a metal element cover for durability.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby woodduck » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am

Have a look at these maybe?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2301#p30456
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby huntercg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks woodduck. I went and grabbed some 2” end caps. I drilled a 32mm hole in the end of them but I am having trouble getting the rubber gasket to seal on the socket that I have welded to my keg. I noticed that the elements macstill has in his post have silicon seals. Not sure if this is the issue but I have tried putting a heap of thread tape on the elements and it does help but they are still weaping. Thinking I might have to get an element from macstill. Anyone know when they will be open for business again or where else I can get a couple of elements?
huntercg

Postby nuddy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am

huntercg wrote:Thanks woodduck. I went and grabbed some 2” end caps. I drilled a 32mm hole in the end of them but I am having trouble getting the rubber gasket to seal on the socket that I have welded to my keg. I noticed that the elements macstill has in his post have silicon seals. Not sure if this is the issue but I have tried putting a heap of thread tape on the elements and it does help but they are still weaping. Thinking I might have to get an element from macstill. Anyone know when they will be open for business again or where else I can get a couple of elements?

What kind of sockets did you have welded on? What is the fitting on your element?

Could be the case you have a parallel socket thread and trying to screw a tapered element thread into it.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Lowie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

nuddy wrote:
huntercg wrote:Thanks woodduck. I went and grabbed some 2” end caps. I drilled a 32mm hole in the end of them but I am having trouble getting the rubber gasket to seal on the socket that I have welded to my keg. I noticed that the elements macstill has in his post have silicon seals. Not sure if this is the issue but I have tried putting a heap of thread tape on the elements and it does help but they are still weaping. Thinking I might have to get an element from macstill. Anyone know when they will be open for business again or where else I can get a couple of elements?

What kind of sockets did you have welded on? What is the fitting on your element?

Could be the case you have a parallel socket thread and trying to screw a tapered element thread into it.

That configuration is typical for pipe fitting Nuddy. If it were the other way round, then there would be a problem. Most elements, regardless of where you buy them from come with the silicon o'ring (well, it's flat....). If yours doesn't have one, you can improvise with a high temperature (orange coloured) o-ring (ebay). That should fix your leaking problem. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby huntercg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. Figured out I was overtightening them a bit too much and they were slightly out of shape in a couple of spots. Got them to seal finally and was able to give my still it’s first run.
84B7590C-16AD-40BD-B307-CC62C22F2273.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huntercg

Postby huntercg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:49 pm

I’ve got another question about my still build. I’m keen to use a 4” sight glass to the top of my keg so I can potentially see when the wash might be going to puke. Can I swap my 4” SS blank for a sight glass with the ferrule and triclamp or will this crack when I tighten it up?
huntercg

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm

If your gentle you certainly can :handgestures-thumbupleft: i cracked my first one/first attempt :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby huntercg » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 pm

bluc wrote:If your gentle you certainly can :handgestures-thumbupleft: i cracked my first one/first attempt :laughing-rolling:

Thanks Bluc. Do you use a gasket each side?
huntercg

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

No just a flat epdm "special sight glass" gasket underneath :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Gasket on the boiler side and wrap the edge of the glass with plumbers tape to help the clamp tighten up enough within too much friction on the glass. Just finger tight should be all you'll need. Better off with less pressure and giving it a test run, then tighten if needed.
Last edited by db1979 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Boilers & burners.