Burner for a 200l drum?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Burner for a 200l drum?

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:41 pm

bluc wrote:Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No worries mate , the biggest thing with gas is heat loss .. if you can aim to keep it all in the box and out of the wind but with plenty of ventilation the rest is easy.
Maybe you could break out the bessa bricks , add a few good strong bits of steel rod .. chuck a gas ring under it and try that out.

This is just my idea that suited me , but if it gives you an idea from where to start all good. That ring burner will heat up the 80 lt keg with about 65 ltrs in it in record time.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby rlmisso » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Great thread. Shame I can't see the photos, think I'm still top new to this.
rlmisso

equipment: None yet...

Postby rlmisso » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Haha no, actually the reason was I wasn't logged in! Lool
rlmisso

equipment: None yet...

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 am

Wraith71 wrote:
bluc wrote:Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No worries mate , the biggest thing with gas is heat loss .. if you can aim to keep it all in the box and out of the wind but with plenty of ventilation the rest is easy.
Maybe you could break out the bessa bricks , add a few good strong bits of steel rod .. chuck a gas ring under it and try that out.

This is just my idea that suited me , but if it gives you an idea from where to start all good. That ring burner will heat up the 80 lt keg with about 65 ltrs in it in record time.

The other problem with gas is if you try and box it in gas could build up and explode happens with gas barbecues and with some of the high output burners there not legal Type A and Type B appliance.
wynnum1

Postby RC Al » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am

I just got a keg land one, they list it as 220,000 btu with a 200 kg stand

The supplied regulator (as oz approved) will only do roughly 90k btu , approx 25kW - 200l would take 50 min at 100% efficiency (not a likely scenario) so much would depend on shrouding etc

A high flow regulator will let it do the full rating - 64kw :o

The stand would buckle with 200kg, the legs started to bend with less than half of my weight applied. Looks easy enough to brace with some strategic additions, but you shouldn't have to :angry-banghead: :handgestures-thumbdown:

I'll put some pics up when I get my potty working
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00 am

Rc Al I'd be pretty keen to hear how that burner goes in real world conditions.
I have a triple ring banjo with hp reg and it doesn't burn clean at higher outputs with lazy yellow flames which wastes heat/gas.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby bayshine » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

I just built a BD 747 from the plans on this forum and I’d have say it’s a winner :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I was using a 4 ring burner with an adjustable reg but it was terribly inefficient
The 747 stripped 100 lt of plum wash in 2 hours from go to woe and only used a third of a bbq bottle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.