Gaskets from Teflon sheets

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Gaskets from Teflon sheets

Postby Wozza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 am

As far as I know, Teflon is just another (proprietary?) name for ptfe. Bunnings sell what they describe as BBQ Buddy Nonstick Hot Plate Liners which are just Teflon sheets. They're less than $10. Would it be ok to use these sheets to cut out gaskets? https://www.bunnings.com.au/bbq-buddy-n ... r_p3180247
Wozza

equipment: Pot still

Re: Gaskets from Teflon sheets

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:39 am

Without knowing what it is made of 100% - no, the product details lists it as "Food Grade Safe Fibreglass" so there is more than teflon in it and im pretty sure fibreglass is not something i would like to drink. 100% food safe is nothing like alcohol proof

They would have to be pretty thick to be useful - you doing easy flanges? (cutting gaskets is a sign of it lols)

Silicon baking sheet that dosent turn white when heavily deformed is the usual choice around here

Safety first :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Just order them from 5 star and if you're doing easy flanges get a Stanley knife and cut the ridges off. They have ones that have a ridge on only one side so that's half the work. Pretty easy to do.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 pm

We also have flat 4” and 3” in silicone :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm

As the end plates on my bubbler are flat I have made my own gaskets using 1.6mm gasket paper then wrapping a full roll of pfte tape around to make the seal. They seal pretty good as I have to pry them off when stripping the still and before I use them again I go 2 full wraps of new pfte tape. These seals are still in use since I made the still and I also use the 5 star gaskets on my 3" connections.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wozza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:08 pm

RC Al wrote:Without knowing what it is made of 100% - no, the product details lists it as "Food Grade Safe Fibreglass" so there is more than teflon in it and im pretty sure fibreglass is not something i would like to drink. 100% food safe is nothing like alcohol proof

They would have to be pretty thick to be useful - you doing easy flanges? (cutting gaskets is a sign of it lols)

Silicon baking sheet that dosent turn white when heavily deformed is the usual choice around here

Safety first :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Could be that I'm back to Plan A which was the diy ptfe tape gaskets. What I am trying to seal is the lid on a 20l tea urn which is 300mm dia. So a lot of snipping and wrapping I guess. And in passing, some washers on the inside of the urn (fixing the handles on) are fibre. Should I change these to stainless?
Wozza

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Why would you be trying to seal a 20l tea urn ?
How about doing an intro post and telling us what your doing or trying to do??
Last edited by The Stig on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wozza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:52 pm

The Stig wrote:Why would you be trying to seal a 20l tea urn ?
How about doing an intro post and telling us what your doing or trying to do??

Will.do...
Wozza

Return to Hardware Research & Development