Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby tubbsy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Radkal wrote:Been thinking about getting some real malted barley and use that with my weetbix, maybe some rye too, but at that point i might as well push on and go wholegrain.

You could always substitute some of the sugar for Liquid or Dry Malt Extract. And for the rye, toast some rye bread and use that.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby Radkal » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 pm

tubbsy wrote:You could always substitute some of the sugar for Liquid or Dry Malt Extract. And for the rye, toast some rye bread and use that.

Was thinking for rye some of those rye based crispbread things that I can get at the supermarket... But looking at prices to get some malted barley, its not all that expencive and if i porridge it up, it'll add flavor to my mash...

"I hope you've had your weetbix!" :D
Radkal

equipment: Air Still. 30L Fermenter. Just starting out! All advice welcome!

Postby The Stig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:28 pm

I go to the local baking supply place , google grandmas pantry Capalaba you all should have a similar place close to you .
They sell rye meal by the kg (or part there off)
Works a treat for me
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Scubadriver » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Need to give this one a go once my UJ runs low
Scubadriver

equipment: Pot still

Deflag and carter head built but not used yet.

Postby Bodgy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 am

Any tips on detuning the boka for when I run this today? I'm thinking 2 rolls of copper in the column and valve open all the way?

I need to get a pot head for it but until then how could I get some flavour from the boka? I have only run TPW for neutral spirits thus far. I'm thinking a spirit run today.

Also I would do this at low heat, correct?
Last edited by Bodgy on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodgy

equipment: 5 Star 2" Boka

Postby tubbsy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:06 am

Bodgy wrote:Any tips on detuning the boka for when I run this today? I'm thinking 2 rolls of copper in the column and valve open all the way?

I need to get a pot head for it but until then how could I get some flavour from the boka? I have only run TPW for neutral spirits thus far. I'm thinking a spirit run today.

Also I would do this at low heat, correct?

I used my boka to good success. I had 500mm of scoria on a single roll of copper. For the first 30 minutes after boiling, open the valve enough to collect the fores at a drip or 2 a second, then open the valve quite a bit, but not so far that you're getting no reflux. If its coming out around 85 -80% you're on the money. Collect into jars, then do your cuts as normal by taste.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby Nathan02 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:58 pm

85% sounds like you might be running your boka a bit hard should be getting higher abv then that
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby The Stig » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Nathan02 wrote:85% sounds like you might be running your boka a bit hard should be getting higher abv then that

Not if your trying to run in "pot" mode and carry flavors across
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tubbsy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:07 pm

Nathan02 wrote:85% sounds like you might be running your boka a bit hard should be getting higher abv then that

That's the point. Not after a neutral in this case.
tubbsy

Postby Bodgy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Cheers Tubbsy. Appreciate the help. Ran pretty much as you advised.

Well I like the wash, it ferments faster than TPW from what I have seen so far. Bit more work to put together but there is plenty of time to kill while you are watching the still so that's not a real factor.

I cant say I got a lot of flavour and I had a hard time getting the still below 90%. It certainly tastes different to TPW but I think I might have smeared things a bit so I'll just treat it as a stripping run and reflux the lot. See how it goes as a vodka. I was getting a lot of weetbix smell in the tails actually but it was really tailsy as well as wheaty so yeah, currently have the run in a 4l glass jar at 50% just to see how it goes, might leave it a month and see if it improves at all.

Got a second generation fermenting now and will see what happens with that. Might have to look into a pot, or further mods to the Boka.Would a shorter column, no packing and no valve be more pot like? Would that overwhelm the condenser on the 5 star boka?
Bodgy

Postby The Stig » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:41 pm

If it’s full flavour your after your better off buying the pot head kit so your not trying to force the Boka to do something it’s not meant to do
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bodgy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:51 pm

The Stig wrote:If it’s full flavour your after your better off buying the pot head kit so your not trying to force the Boka to do something it’s not meant to do

Yeah I know mate. A pot is the tool for the job and they are cheap as chips so its not really a question of money, I'm just a modifier by heart and I'm kind of keen to see what I can get out of it for the sake of experimentation and my own education.

I force the missus into doing things she doesn't want to do all the time and she has come good after a few years training.
Last edited by Bodgy on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodgy

Postby R3dRanga » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:35 am

I’m a beginner seeking basic help with this one.

I just put a WBAB (exactly as per original recipe) and I have a couple of questions - hopefully not too silly:

I stirred really well at the start and got a great mix with everything dissolved. Airlock is bubbling away nicely (started within an hour). Do I stir at any point or let it sit until fully fermented and cleared? (obv check with hydrometer).

Should I skim off the top later - if it forms? I’ve read comments here that do that. What are the thoughts?

Is degassing required? This is only my 3rd wash after turbo and TPW. Both needed degassing.

The weather is hot! (35-40 degrees). What’s the best guess on timeframe for fermentation?

Thanks in advance. Any little tips would be appreciated. I know nothing!!!

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby tubbsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:41 am

Nah, leave it alone until it stops bubbling, then check the gravity. Check it again the next day and if it hasn't changed it is ready to run. I've never bothered with degassing, nor have I worried about letting it clear up, and have produced great spirits from.it.

With the temps that high, it might only take 2-3 days. But rely on the gravity to tell you that it's done.
tubbsy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 am

I put this was on Sunday afternoon and a thick cap formed which has disappeared to mate, so another day or 2 for me and it will be ready to start stripping.
Warmer weather really helps this one along
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby R3dRanga » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:40 am

Thanks Tubbsy & Wellsy! Very much appreciate the advice and quick reply. ^:)^

I put this was on Sunday afternoon

Mine's been down since v.late Sunday night, so we're about at the same point Wellsy. I may be a few hours behind you (I was up way too late!) but temp here is probably higher. I had anticipated up to a week, but I'll check gravity in the next 2-3 days.

I'm confident that the WBAB will be better for my little 4L Airstill than the TPW. The Turbo (my first attempt) produced fantastic hand sanitiser! At least the TPW is "just" acceptable/drinkable as a neutral... after triple distill. I've learnt so much already.

The weather looks way more pleasant down your way. Horrendously hot here. And beaches just closed due to shark spottings. A good day to hide in the aircon and focus on this!

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 am

i was worried yesterday when it hit 40 so i wrapped my fermenter in a wet towel and put the fan on it.

This is only my second WBAB wash and I already love it. Got me a mighty fine vodka, well I thought it was anyway lol, out of my pot still using this recipe.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby R3dRanga » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:21 pm

I've put a slightly modified WBAB wash on yesterday and it's going crazy! I had to pull the airlock out for a day and it's still firing. I think it's because I'm keeping it warmer than my last WBAB wash, which was fine but it certainly didn't bubble as much as this one.

I'm wondering if there anything wrong with lots of activity? Is there a downside to a wash fermenting too quickly? Can it affect taste or ABV?

I'm after a neutral/vodka - which I haven't really achieved yet. Still got a very, very feint unpleasant odour after triple distilling. I'll keep working on cuts unless someone has a suggestion for anything else I need to work on?

Thanks,
Ranga
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Professor Green » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 pm

Fast/hot ferments can produce off flavours. Unless it's rum you're making in which case it could be beneficial.

Once thing you could try is to use less sugar in the wash. Less sugar = less stress on the yeast. Less stress on the yeast = less off flavours. If you're following the original recipe from the t&p section, try 4kg of sugar instead of 5. You'll get less booze but it might be better quality.

Another thing that can affect final results is running too fast on your spirit runs. I think you're using an air still, which is a bit limited but, as mentioned recently in another thread, you can run the fan and boiler section separately so maybe a controller on the boiler part to slow the boil down a little could help too.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:19 am

An airstill is a pot still so you are always going to have a hard time making nuetrel in it....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development