Hello from Central Vic

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hello from Central Vic

Postby dans.brew » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Ned wrote:
Ned wrote:
dans.brew wrote:
Ned wrote:I noticed also wattage on the bottom element is down to 2200 watts (2400 watter) I only use the bottom one when doing a spirit run, not sure if this would make any difference,
might try putting the 2nd element on at 25% to see what happens

When i first built my bubbler i had trouble with a dropping Abv through a run, much like a pot still.
In the end it came down to not quite enough reflux and in part running it outside in the cold night air. Too much heat was getting lost. Needed more heat.
Now i run a 2400w element flat out and the other partially on with a volt controller.
Perhaps your element isnt doing you any favours here either?

Hey Dans.brew :text-+1:
Thats also been the train of thought as the element has lost 200 watts in punch, so might try the 2nd element at 25%. Just need to change one thing at a time otherwise you loose track of what the final result is. Couple of things to work on. Can't do much else until "Dan" opens up Victoria.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: 8-} :violence-smack:
Guess what. Looking at my notes. I see I put the 2nd element on when collecting the heads. (Yesterdays Run) Only at 25% and my ABV went from 85% to 90% it stayed at 90% until the tails came
So it is a heating issue.. More heat more reflux ratio and more ABV. Haven't in the past had to use the 2nd element on the heads etc. I think problem solved.

Good stuff... classic insight into how important note taking is in this hobby, especially if your looking for that superior spirit... all the little bits add up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You'll notice a bit of a jump in the flow down your downcommers now, i did.. all the stuff going down was what was more than likely holding your Abv down.
Last edited by dans.brew on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:45 am

:text-+1: to keeping notes.

I always believe I will remember the important stuff but never can.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Ned » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:18 pm

RC Al wrote:Ned maybe when you re pack it, put all the scoria at the bottom? this would help you achieve a better temp gradient in the column and it would be one less change of speed for the vapour, which would help with efficiency

I realise your most likely using the mesh as a retainer for the rocks, but i recon it would be worth your time to make that change possible

gawd i need a new keyboard, my r is shot

RC AL Just did a feints run today (Spirit Run) Upped the heat. 1st Element 100% 2nd one 50% and plenty of water through the RC. Take off was about 2.7 LPH and got a consistant 90% from Foreshots to tails. If I upped the 2nd element to 60% flooded the top plate. I can live with 90%, but is your line of thought by changing the copper mesh to the top and scoria to the bottom I might not flood the top plate ?. Cheers
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby RC Al » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:43 pm

I cant guarantee anything there, the copper is a better conductor than scoria, so having it all at the top where the column is hottest just makes sense to me, plus the one less transition zone as I said earlier, not going to cost anything but time to try

Theres something amiss if you can only get 90% out of a 40% boiler charge, you may have to slow it down some more if the packing re-arrangement dosen't work out

What size is your scoria? - I finally found a rule of thumb for packing the other day in an industry pamphlet, the min size they recon is 10-12% of diameter, so It should be minimum 10-12mm for a 4" which seems to correlate to most of what i have researched from anecdotes from forums
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:49 am

RC Al wrote:I cant guarantee anything there, the copper is a better conductor than scoria, so having it all at the top where the column is hottest just makes sense to me, plus the one less transition zone as I said earlier, not going to cost anything but time to try

Theres something amiss if you can only get 90% out of a 40% boiler charge, you may have to slow it down some more if the packing re-arrangement dosen't work out

What size is your scoria? - I finally found a rule of thumb for packing the other day in an industry pamphlet, the min size they recon is 10-12% of diameter, so It should be minimum 10-12mm for a 4" which seems to correlate to most of what i have researched from anecdotes from forums

:text-thankyoublue:
Scoria is 10mm. The frustrating part is from the onset when I first got the 4" Neutraliser I was getting 93% and it was as easy as falling off a log.
My boiler charge is 25% consistantly.
Someone suggested my alcometer might have been out, and the funny thing is I just broke the one I had been using all that time
i just got two replacements and they read the same.
I think I will just settle on 90% and save myself some anguish. :text-lol:
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby druwade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 pm

G'day Wellsy - looks like i'll be learning for your experiments as Im a few weeks behind. Looking forward to your results!
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Anytime Druwade
I am happy to share my experiences,limited as they are mate.
I have only done 2 runs mate so still coming to grips with things.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Ned quadrauple check for a leak. Also how long you full reflux for? :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Ned » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:14 pm

bluc wrote:Ned quadrauple check for a leak. Also how long you full reflux for? :-B

:text-thankyoublue:

I have just used guyross procedure and filled the plates with water, had a small drip coming out of the top glass on the T piece.
All fixed now.
This never showed up with a mirror.

Reflux for 30 mins on a spirit run, but by the time I adjust and get the heads takeoff correct it of course would be a bit longer.

I did find another issue.
How accurate are alcometers ? I thought that I had check accurately with another alcometer.
I have one with green wax and 2 with red wax. I think the one I have just started using. (greenwax) (broke my previous one)
is measuring 2% below what the other two are.
Measured them in water 2 red ones on zero, but the green on is measuring below zero.
Same brand and made in france.
Both the red ones measuring 92% green one 90%
Ned

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 pm

If it aint zero in water then its off.. :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:26 pm

I guess it is a bit like getting a new tape measure and comparing it to your old one. If it is not accurate it can lead to a world of pain.
We pay $10:00 for one of these and lol expect perfection. Shows how important it is to check
Wellsy

Postby Ned » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm

bluc wrote:If it aint zero in water then its off.. :handgestures-thumbdown:

:text-+1:
It was off alright. Off out the door :violence-stickwhack:
Ned

Postby Ned » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Wellsy wrote:I guess it is a bit like getting a new tape measure and comparing it to your old one. If it is not accurate it can lead to a world of pain.
We pay $10:00 for one of these and lol expect perfection. Shows how important it is to check

I paid $17 so it should have been okay :violence-stickwhack:
I make sure I get the ones with the Red Wax in them :text-lol:
Ned

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 pm

We have 2 types at 5 Star, 1 is $10 and the other is $5 (just got a great deal)
Both have RED wax in them but the $5 one is in a green tube :laughing-rolling:
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Mine was in a green tube but I painted it red so it should work just fine now :))
Wellsy

Postby Ned » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:01 pm

Andrew wrote:We have 2 types at 5 Star, 1 is $10 and the other is $5 (just got a great deal)
Both have RED wax in them but the $5 one is in a green tube :laughing-rolling:

for 5 Star Distilling
I am sticking to Red as the saying gos Red goes faster :text-lol:
Ned

Postby Ned » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Wellsy wrote:Mine was in a green tube but I painted it red so it should work just fine now :))

:text-lol:

Thats the shot Red goes faster. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
Ned

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre