Pre wired 2" tri clamp heating elements?

A section for all electrical discussions, including controllers, elements, wiring diagrams & schematics.
Forum rules
By participating in this section you acknowledge you are aware of aussiedistiller,com.au forum rules, policies & disclaimer.
If you are not aware please go to the rules section "before" you continue in this area of our forums.

"you expressly agree to hold aussiedistiller.com.au, Administration and moderator team, harmless for any property damage, personal injury and/or death, or any other loss or damage that may result from your use of the information or service provided here in and through out our forums"

the information found in our forums, are from many sources, qualified and un qualified as is the nature of the internet, and as such you use this information at your own risk. No liability directly or indirectly will be accepted by aussiedistillers.com.au, administration, the mod team or their heirs, whatsoever.

Regards,

aussiedistiller team.

Pre wired 2" tri clamp heating elements?

Postby FilthyPhil » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 am

I'm trying to find some already wired heating elements that will connect to 2" ferrules.
I've found these ones in the pic on a different website but they are out of stock.
Does anyone know of anywhere else that has them in stock?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Re: Pre wired 2" tri clamp heating elements?

Postby Crusty » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Almost impossible to find anything pre-wired.
Now before anyone jumps on me & explains the importance of a DIY wiring job of my elements, I will be getting my work checked over by a qualified electrician to confirm the following questions to my wiring. I've found it frustratingly difficult to get an electrician here to do this job as their either just too busy or the jobs basically of no value to them. That leaves me with very little options apart from having a go myself. I've wired up quite a few STC controllers, made extension leads & replaced 10A plugs on cords with no dramas thus far. The elements I'm trying to wire are the FSD 2400W ULD elements so I'm hoping a sparky can advise whether my idea of wiring these elements is on the right track.
I've been advised that it's an A/C cct so polarity does not matter.
I was looking to put a ring terminal ( Live ) onto pin 1
A ring terminal ( Neutral ) on pin 3
Then a ring terminal ( Ground ) on the grounding bolt that comes with the FSD Element guard kits.

Resized Paint Elements.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Crusty on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crusty

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100lt Milk Can Boiler with 1 x 3600W & 1 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Company

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Not a good idea to admit to actions that are illegal on the internet because it does not go away and can be self incriminating .May have better luck getting information from another country and there may be some videos and they seem to do their own wiring in the UK as was looking at how to fix a stove and seemed to be plenty of videos.Are those element made for U.S and Australia as is their 240 volts 3 phase power in the home.
wynnum1

Postby Crusty » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:44 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Not a good idea to admit to actions that are illegal on the internet because it does not go away and can be self incriminating .May have better luck getting information from another country and there may be some videos and they seem to do their own wiring in the UK as was looking at how to fix a stove and seemed to be plenty of videos.Are those element made for U.S and Australia as is their 240 volts 3 phase power in the home.

I appreciate your concerns & welcome your feedback but It's not illegal to wire them up & I am getting them tested by an electrician when their done. Don't forget what we're doing here as well on this forum, we aren't distilling water & unwillingly, we're all incriminating ourselves to various levels by participating in the craft & this great hobby. The team here advises against DIY for obvious reasons which is why I am getting them checked before plugging them in. Purchased here in Australia for the Australian market, 240V, 10A, 2400W, single phase.
Last edited by Crusty on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crusty

Postby scythe » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:00 am

2 and 4 have extra nuts and washers on them.
You sparky might find it easier to insulate adjacent pins rather than opposite ones.
Just something to think about.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Crusty » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:04 am

scythe wrote:2 and 4 have extra nuts and washers on them.
You sparky might find it easier to insulate adjacent pins rather than opposite ones.
Just something to think about.

Makes more sense.
I'll go active pin 2, neutral pin 3 & earth to the earthing bolt.
Crusty

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Crusty wrote:
wynnum1 wrote:Not a good idea to admit to actions that are illegal on the internet because it does not go away and can be self incriminating .May have better luck getting information from another country and there may be some videos and they seem to do their own wiring in the UK as was looking at how to fix a stove and seemed to be plenty of videos.Are those element made for U.S and Australia as is their 240 volts 3 phase power in the home.

I appreciate your concerns & welcome your feedback but It's not illegal to wire them up & I am getting them tested by an electrician when their done. Don't forget what we're doing here as well on this forum, we aren't distilling water & unwillingly, we're all incriminating ourselves to various levels by participating in the craft & this great hobby. The team here advises against DIY for obvious reasons which is why I am getting them checked before plugging them in. Purchased here in Australia for the Australian market, 240V, 10A, 2400W, single phase.

I think the reason not getting a lot of help is in Australia a lot of bad laws and can be punished if qualified and they want to protect from competition and even tried to stop those who fixed electronics from working.Are there 2 separate elements and if wanted can wire together or separately and does it have 2 x 1200 elements and not 2400
Looking at you tube it seems that their houses in U.S,are wired with 2 active wires to get the 220 volts and no reason why could not be used in U.S..If you are going to wire up would not use cheap wire and heat resistant would not hurt .
wynnum1

Postby Crusty » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:26 am

wynnum1 wrote:
Crusty wrote:

I think the reason not getting a lot of help is in Australia a lot of bad laws and can be punished if qualified and they want to protect from competition and even tried to stop those who fixed electronics from working.Are there 2 separate elements and if wanted can wire together or separately and does it have 2 x 1200 elements and not 2400
Looking at you tube it seems that their houses in U.S,are wired with 2 active wires to get the 220 volts and no reason why could not be used in U.S..If you are going to wire up would not use cheap wire and heat resistant would not hurt .

I'm in Australia & they're the 2400w elements that 5 Star Distilling have on their website. I think they are 1200W each, bridged to get 2400W.
I have two of them & each element will be run off a seperate 10A circuit, one will also be plugged into a power controller.
I'll be using 2.5m of 3 x 2.5mm orange flex cable rated to 20A from memory for each element.
Crusty

Postby OzDistilling » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 am

FilthyPhil wrote:I'm trying to find some already wired heating elements that will connect to 2" ferrules.
I've found these ones in the pic on a different website but they are out of stock.
Does anyone know of anywhere else that has them in stock?

Both https://www.thermalproducts.com.au/industrial-heating/ and https://www.romarelements.com.au/ will wire up your elements with a 3pin plug and flex. As long as its under a total load of 2400W. I have used and can recommend both companies.

Over 2400W it needs a site electrician to do the wiring as its no longer considered an 'portable appliance'.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Postby scythe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:43 am

Good find, but, I only see elements with brass nuts from roma elememts.

I'll stick with 5star.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Electrical Hardware