PD Reflux adaptor for Tri-clamp

Reflux still design and discussion

PD Reflux adaptor for Tri-clamp

Postby saltypeanuts » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi All,

I wouldn't mind making an adaptor so my PD reflux could mount to keg boiler in the near future as I have some spare materials an easy access to a 50L keg
In future I will upgrade from the PD reflux would prefer to make my keg with this in mind.
Is simplest way to weld a threaded coupling to a ferrule and off i go? i don't know what is on the bottom of the T500, would the 5star adaptor for T500 to tri-clamp work?

Cheers!
saltypeanuts

equipment: PD reflux

Re: PD Reflux adaptor for Tri-clamp

Postby V8Aussie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 pm

As I understand it the T500 adapter is for the T500 boiler so you can attach a non-T500 column with a triclamp, by the sounds of it you are after the opposite. As far as I know the PD has a threaded fitting that is soldered on, I would heat it up and de-solder that and then solder a ferrule in it’s place.
V8Aussie

equipment: Copper Boka

Postby saltypeanuts » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:49 pm

V8Aussie wrote:As I understand it the T500 adapter is for the T500 boiler so you can attach a non-T500 column with a triclamp, by the sounds of it you are after the opposite. As far as I know the PD has a threaded fitting that is soldered on, I would heat it up and de-solder that and then solder a ferrule in it’s place.

Thanks V8,
Correct the PD is a threaded fitting, i was just thinking to try keep the PD stock so that way i can give to a friend or sell once i do the complete upgrade. I could always keep the threaded fitting and redo it later i guess
Thanks for the input, gives me something to think about for sure
Cheers, Salty
saltypeanuts

Postby RC Al » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Cough :doh:

If you read the retail description of your unit, It says it will unscrew from the lid and clamp straight to a keg with a tri clamp via the lip on the bottom of the column, so that means you can just add an TC extension spool to make it taller

and come and say hello in the welcome centre dude :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby The Stig » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

The T500 adapter that 5Star sells will screw into the base of the T500 to make it tri clamp compatible
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby saltypeanuts » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:27 pm

RC Al wrote:Cough :doh:

If you read the retail description of your unit, It says it will unscrew from the lid and clamp straight to a keg with a tri clamp via the lip on the bottom of the column, so that means you can just add an TC extension spool to make it taller

and come and say hello in the welcome centre dude :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks RC Al, guess i didn't do my homework as well as i should have!
Whilst i have you on the extension, would you typically put more packing in an extension or just a straight empty barrel? (maybe this can be one of my first soldering projects) - would i have much downside to a SS extension if i have a copper reflux? TIG welding is more my repertoire

Have popped into the welcome centre :shifty:
saltypeanuts

Postby RC Al » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Yep, copper packing is the way to go there, lots more surface area vs just using a copper spool with ss scrubbies

You can tig copper to ss
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Reflux Stills