Methanol testing

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Methanol testing

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Tasting straight off the still.
Could this be a heath risk if did for a long period of time and would it effect your teeth .
"Drinking alcohol increases the risk of developing some cancers, particularly cancers of the mouth, throat, oesophagus, stomach, bowel, ."
wynnum1

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm only putting a few drops on my finger and then licking my finger. Probably no more than 5-6 times per run.

Not like I'm doing shots of 96% 8-}
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:52 pm

:text-+1:
I always do same during run, taste some on finger gives me an idea where i am :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm

I thought a member in this would of said this already but as they haven't here it goes...... :ugeek:

When heating up for a run all the nasties that boil under 78C which I do think is the ethanol boiling temp which we call foreshots is the prime reason for disguarding the first 10%.

So will say 10% is too much but the first 10% is foreshots and heads and we don't want that in our final spirit,

If you wake up with a hangover after drinking your spirit then you put too much heads in plain and simple.

Try airing your cuts for 2 days and let the angels take a good drink as we don't want what they drink anyway :laughing-rolling: do we :laughing-rolling:

On the occasion I do have close to or a full bottle of my gear when I wake up yea I'm pretty drowsy :obscene-drinkingdrunk: but a quick test with my alco meter :ugeek: does show I shouldn't drive for quite a few hours :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now I do have a mate who is an industrial chemist and over the years I have known him he has taken sample of my gear and tested them, everytime the results came back he said NO methanol was present and no your not getting the sample back as the guy's in the lab loved the drop and asked for me to get more sampes
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Gotta send 2l sample per test :D I dont taste anything of the still until after en educated guess i am near end heads nor do i bother with first heads cut jar.
I know its always gunna be shite .
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 pm

bluc wrote:Gotta send 2l sample per test :D I dont taste anything of the still until after en educated guess i am near end heads nor do i bother with first heads cut jar.
I know its always gunna be shite .

:text-+1: what he said...
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion