Howdy from Brisbane

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy from Brisbane

Postby smellyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Got in trouble for posting without an intro, so here I am to give an intro... ;)

Bought a 35L Alcoengine reflux middle of last year to do neutrals for vodka and gin as I was sick of paying stupid prices for the stuff.
This thing works ok being a LM still with a 2Inch column. I bought some extension tubes to get me more length in the reflux column and have also picked up the required gear to run the still as a pot still.

So far so good. Been doing sugar washes up till Xmas and then decided to give some all grains a go.
Ive only run a couple of the AG washes so far both with the no mash yeast.
One was all malted barley run as reflux which turned out good. So good its sitting on some oak staves as I couldnt bring myself to make gin out of it.
The other was a corn, rye, barley wash that I ran in pot mode and Im less impressed with it as its main flavor and aroma is that of slightly burnt popcorn. There was no apparent scorching during the run.

All in all I have been learning a lot from this site, with some great information being shared with like minded folks.

Cheer
Smellyboy
smellyboy

equipment: alcoengine 2400W 35L. 2 inch Boka style LM Reflux column & 2 Inch pot still attachments.

Re: Howdy from Brisbane

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Could it be from the rye.
wynnum1

Postby smellyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Not sure. It was a thought I had but as soon as I mentioned burnt popcorn to the missus she agreed 100% thats what it tasted like.
Not in a crazy strong undrinkable way but undesirable to my refined and delicate pallet. :O) :))
Ive thrown it on some charred oak to see where that takes it as a bit of an experiment.

Next cab off the rank will be a corn and barely or corn and wheat only, to see if that flavor follows the corn.
smellyboy

equipment: alcoengine 2400W 35L. 2 inch Boka style LM Reflux column & 2 Inch pot still attachments.

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Welcome aboard smelly.

Pfft mate that was not in trouble lol, you will know when you are in trouble lol.

You could always try a BWKO recipe from the tried and true mate and use rye instead of wheat. BWKO ferments nice and fast for me, under a week, and that way you will soon see if it was the rye or not. Either way you will end up with a nice drop from the experiment :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Welcome Smellyboy.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Welcome to the forum mate and you will find in time when a new member posts on a thread as the first post one of us will tell that member the same question I asked you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now with nic of that name mate did the night before you joined the forum your missus played a game of dutch ovens :laughing-rolling: and thats how the name came about :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby smellyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks for the welcomes all. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bryan, Ive had this handle for as long as I can remember. Used to play a lot of games online etc and for some reason I picked this name and its stuck with me for the duration.
Unfortunately it doesnt have a cool story attached to it, just something I picked that I knew no one else was likely to have on many online forums/groups/events. :O)

I used to brew and drink a lot of beer and certainly during that time lived up to the name more that I do now. :whistle: :shifty:

Gave all my brew gear away to a mate as I thought I would not be doing any more of that kind of stuff and within a month had to buy new gear to start distilling!! ~x( :roll:

Anyway, threw down a 6Kg Wheat 2Kg Corn 30L batch last night on this Gold/Yellow label Angel yeast, so we will see how that turns out.
smellyboy

Postby chipboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Nice will be trying cornflakes with it too soon.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre