Mash not required

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash not required

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:51 pm

RC Al wrote:All, was a strip run as mentioned

I interpreted Bryans as a strip as he mentioned cut jars, but no heads n tails amounts

So your not too far out of what I got after cuts in theory, what you lost by "only" squeezing I may or may not have lost by not managing the ferment as recommended, Those washes went down to 17c after less than a week, not heated and winter :O) but after my dodgy math seems to have worked by dint of time, dunno

The bigger ones I have put down recently have seemed to have kept temp just fine, all sitting at 27c currently - havent measured overnight temp, but ambient hasn't been below 18-20 much either

RC AL I put this wash over 4 plates and just like when I did my single grain AG my still acts totally different to a neutral run, like rather than staying on 90% it does drop to 80% and I have constantly checked for leaks but when doing AG this is all new to me and the results are well I aint using breakfast cereal again :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I will put the all corn over 4 plates too and see how the yield goes but going off that first run it may take the whole yeast pack to get enough blends to do a final spirit run which should turn out I can do a full 50 litre 40% spirit run and get enough output to fill a 25 litre oak barrel. With the timeframe of ferments and runs to get the full amount my waxp crypto shares should pay for any said oak barrel :laughing-rolling:

Now with that equation it is basic maths on how to find a percentage so with this angel yeast just use it and report back :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now when guys do serial washs in a bubbler it will be interesting to see what figure they come up with as with everything basic maths can solve every problem.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 pm

I have done 20kg of corn with Angel yeast and some Mangrove Jacks Kveik yeast. Distilling on 4 plates it came out a little cleaner but it still has a dry astringent flavour I don't like and IMHO it does not oak very well. So I will be giving this up and working on my all grain barley mashes and trying to make nice irish whiskey. All the batches of Angel grain (corn, barley, rice) I have now put through 5 plates and a 500mm packed section and it still isn't completely clean neutral but I think I will use it all to make gin.

I have 2 unopened 500g packs of this angel yeast BBD 16/01/2022. Is anyone interested in buying? $15 a pack plus postage sound alright?
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm

My 2c whenever using this adjust ph. I have done 16ish mashs 4 have been sweet mashs. All the sweet mashs have had funky smell bit vomit or down right nasty baby nappy. The bubbler and cuts has cleaned em up but on the burbon i use 25% backset with zero off smell...just a thought..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 am

Apologies for the silly question Peterc but why do an all grain if you don’t want any flavour in your neutral.
Is it a mouth feel thing that makes you lean towards the all grain ?
Thanks
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 am

Wellsy wrote:Apologies for the silly question Peterc but why do an all grain if you don’t want any flavour in your neutral.
Is it a mouth feel thing that makes you lean towards the all grain ?
Thanks

The way I read it he wasn't happy with the results of the angel yeast so he turned it into nuetrel :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am

Thanks Sam
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 pm

Well finally onto my all corn Angel Yeast wash and the beauty of a 60 litre fermenter is I can get a boiler full before hitting the grain :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now it has been a bit of time as this wash went down on the 15th of January and when I pulled the lid off the fermenter bubbles were still coming up from the angel yeast and the wash was totally settled :scared-eek:

Once again like the first Angel Yeast wash I'm going over 4 plates so it will be interesting to see the yield I get off this wash
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 pm

Now I did do a test with my refractometer thinking well if it doesn't show anything nothing lost nothing gained :laughing-rolling: and to my surprise it did show 1028 SG :scared-eek:

As there were still bubbles coming I'm now thinking of using the fermenter to do a few generations, I do have to get another sack of barely so my idea is 12 kg's of sugar 5kg's of milled barely and 5 litres of backset from this corn run. So when I fill the fermenter collect out all the spent corn and just some Lowans Baking Yeast for the yeast starter.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 pm

OK the yield was 3.5 litres of hearts with 2 off 200ml cuts for heads, took a 300ml for fores and man did this run go better than my last run. It just stayed at 90
+ for the whole run and I was happy to let my still go. Three plates were fully loaded and the lower plate was trying. Put up the psi but as my still has a fashion it runs the way it does.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 pm

Hows the white dog taste bry
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:39 pm

Nathan02 wrote:Hows the white dog taste bry

YES Deductible as frugle would say but my bottle of nothing is doing fine
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Has anyone done a Rye mash with the Angel Yeast? I've not done Rye yet but I have tried a few others that haven't turned out too badly. I've got about 100kg of Rye coming so will give it a go once I get it.

Cheers
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby bluc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 pm

Yes 10% gunna drop it back
bluc
Site Donor

Postby atec77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 pm

hjubm2 wrote:Has anyone done a Rye mash with the Angel Yeast? I've not done Rye yet but I have tried a few others that haven't turned out too badly. I've got about 100kg of Rye coming so will give it a go once I get it.

Cheers

I put a rye mash down over two weeks back , finaly went bitter and stopped gassing so I ran it . I did boil the grain after milling and added a little sugar then the angel yellow , the result is good with a light bite and some after taste , so far so good , couple of months on wood will tell I guess
100 kg ? wow :o
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:01 am

atec77 wrote:
hjubm2 wrote:Has anyone done a Rye mash with the Angel Yeast? I've not done Rye yet but I have tried a few others that haven't turned out too badly. I've got about 100kg of Rye coming so will give it a go once I get it.

Cheers

I put a rye mash down over two weeks back , finaly went bitter and stopped gassing so I ran it . I did boil the grain after milling and added a little sugar then the angel yellow , the result is good with a light bite and some after taste , so far so good , couple of months on wood will tell I guess

So you just negated the whole idea of this yeast by cooking and adding sugar :clap:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:18 am

The Stig wrote:
atec77 wrote:

Cheers

So you just negated the whole idea of this yeast by cooking and adding sugar :clap:

Cooking the grain is not mashing .
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Your better making a thicker mash, more grain, then adding sugar.
I go to 15kg grain in 40l water and get 3.5ish L. At 65% in my jar.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm

bluc wrote:Your better making a thicker mash, more grain, then adding sugar.
I go to 15kg grain in 40l water and get 3.5ish L. At 65% in my jar.

Well off my 45 litre run of the corn Angel yeast I got 3 litres % 90% and took about a 1 litre of feints, so by adding that 4kg of sugar I reckon helped with the yield
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby virge » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:58 pm

Hello there,
I thought I should share my experience with angel yeast. I had 3 x 50L drums with 10 kg grains, 40L water and 50g Angel yeast in each busy bubbling for more than 2 months. A very slow fermentation probably due to the huge day-night change in temperature in my area and quality of water. I used hot water at about 60 degrees Celsius from the tap and pitched the yest at 30 degrees and mixed the mash for 3 days. I collected about 37L of wash from each drum.
I distilled the wash in a 4 plate bubbler. The product came out at 90% alcohol, dropped fast to 80% where it stayed for long time then dropped quite fast to 60%. The result: 5L hearts at 80% alcohol and 2 L of tails at 60% alcohol. All of it watered down at 54% alcohol and on oak staves now in 3 x 2L and 1x 3L jar. In one I have only medium toasted virgin oak, other one charred oak, one on charred and toasted mix and the tails left @ 60% alcohol on charred oak.
I tasted the tails and the flavor was not bad and had a sweetish taste and I decided to put them on oak. I stopped the distillation at 60% alcohol mainly because of my huge parrot which I am busy correcting by building a smaller one.
Last edited by virge on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virge

equipment: DIY potstill

Postby atec77 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:24 am

The Stig wrote:
atec77 wrote:

Cheers

I put a rye mash down over two weeks back , finally went bitter and stopped gassing so I ran it . I did boil the grain after milling and added a little sugar then the angel yellow , the result is good with a light bite and some after taste , so far so good , couple of months on wood will tell I guess

Cooking the grain and running it through my industrial juicer aint mashing sport
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun