Seeking suggestions for boiler seals

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Seeking suggestions for boiler seals

Postby JeremyF » Mon May 03, 2021 8:19 pm

The boiler I have is pretty much a 30lt stock pot that has a fairly average (rubbish) "silicon" gasket that clips on the rim of the stock pot. When it's cold it seems like it seals fine but as things heat up it's not such a good seal (in fact when using a thumper the back pressure was enough to pop the seal and that wasn't fun).

Is there any suggestions on where to get a reasonable gasket to seal a 30cm pot, the only thing that comes up on the searches are pressure cooker seals and only 28cm diameter (and mostly Chinese/unknown origin). There are four clips on the pot that holds the lid on so I need something flexible enough and thik enough to adjust to the gap as it heats up. There's nowhere to apply a flour paste I an really looking for a gasket of some type. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
JeremyF

equipment: Beer brewer who's got some gin in mind and a DIY build

Re: Seeking suggestions for boiler seals

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 pm

one thought would be to go to a bearing shop and buy a length of O-ring rubber and bottle of blue prism to glue the rubber on the lid, I did that with my first boiler and it worked a treat
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm

I would avoid rubber, unless its edpm or genuine viton, normal generic rubber is on the naughty list for good reason.

Possibly you could wrap some ptfe tape around the seal to thicken it and hopefully seal better.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby tubbsy » Tue May 04, 2021 7:22 am

I got some 15mm EPDM round sponge cord, cut to length, glued with the right loctite and it has worked perfectly ever since.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12348433301 ... ctupt=true
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 pm

RC Al wrote:I would avoid rubber, unless its edpm or genuine viton, normal generic rubber is on the naughty list for good reason.

Possibly you could wrap some ptfe tape around the seal to thicken it and hopefully seal better.

Yep I did use a viton O-ring as I was using viton seals all the time at work when I was repairing gearbox's and normal rubber o-rings are good for about a year before the rubber dries out and becomes brittle.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Tue May 04, 2021 6:47 pm

My recommendation would be to buy a decant boiler , hell even a turbo boiler will be better
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JeremyF » Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm

The Stig wrote:My recommendation would be to buy a decant boiler , hell even a turbo boiler will be better

Sadly I have two birko boilers and a Brewzilla but didn't take that path, now slightly regretting earlier decisions. I'm sure you veterans see this all the time and get a giggle (or pull out your hair). :angry-banghead:
JeremyF

Postby indenial » Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 am

You could buy a sheet of silicon or ptfe (Teflon) online and cut out a ring?
Another option might be silicon or ptfe tube, cutting it down one side lengthways and fitting it over the lip of your lid or boiler.
I don't know if silicon is OK in the boiler???
If you go in the ptfe direction, don't plan on glueing it to anything. The only glue I've heard of that will work probably costs more than your boiler.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby Wellsy » Wed May 05, 2021 7:10 am

JeremyF wrote:
The Stig wrote:My recommendation would be to buy a decant boiler , hell even a turbo boiler will be better

Sadly I have two birko boilers and a Brewzilla but didn't take that path, now slightly regretting earlier decisions. I'm sure you veterans see this all the time and get a giggle (or pull out your hair). :angry-banghead:

Don’t beat yourself up mate, we certainly aren’t. We all took different paths to get here and we are all at different points. Many may well be suggesting an option other than the one you are looking at because they tried without luck to do what you are trying to do, or were successful but the paging about simply was not worth it. Others are giving you options for what you are doing. At the end of the day no one will judge you on what you decide. We all do this for fun and relaxation so no need to apologise for the gear you have or the budget you are constrained by.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 am

Could you show us a pic of the still so we have a better idea what is being dealt with
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JeremyF » Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 pm

I think what I'm gong to do is make some flour/water dough make it into a sausage, run it between the lid and rim of pot to form a seal until I get to the shops to get a lid for the brewzilla.

However here are some images of the boiler/lid

seal detail.jpg
lid detail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeremyF

Postby The Stig » Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm

We will just sit back and wait for the reports of a house fire :angry-banghead:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu May 06, 2021 8:40 pm

I dont think your taking what your doing seriously enough. Either get to the store to buy a new seal before next run or better still ditch it and get a keg made.
You aint baking scones and I dont wanna hear about you in the news ....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm

100% agree
This is a perfect thread on what NOT to do with high proof alcohol
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JeremyF » Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 pm

Well there won't be a house fire 'cause I'm not silly enough to do this anywhere near the house and since the first attempt have come to the conclusion that without remedial action I won't be putting heat anywhere near the current setup.

Secondly I came here to ask how to fix the problem and I've seen advice on using flour paste to seal a boiler hence the suggestion to use dough to seal up the boiler, perhaps just say it's inadvisable.

I've ordered a still lid for my brewzilla so have already decided that the shit I bought is dangerous and I'll be working from there.

Thanks
JeremyF

Postby The Stig » Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 am

The only place you would have seen flour dough being used is on Moonshiners .
Our biggest thing here is safety , we don’t want to see anybody get hurt .
Any, I’m glad you e seen the light and are heading in the right direction
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri May 07, 2021 7:04 am

Gidday Jeremy
The biggest issue with escaping vapours mate is we can’t see them, and they are highly volatile.
I am not sure if you have ever used your fores as fire starter but these also are invisible more often than not.
When you combine invisible vapour with invisible flames things can very quickly escalate.
My understanding of the early days of F1 was invisible pit fires from using high proof alcohol as fuel.
Be safe mate and maybe if your budget can not afford things take a break until you have the funds to continue. Not everything on u tube is safe and from the look of your set up to get a seal you will be fighting both gravity and pressure and will only end up with burnt fingers if you are lucky.
Please take care
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby JeremyF » Sat May 08, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks Fellas

I realise that you're (we're) trying to stay safe and worry not, the last thing I want is to be a statistic on the "what not to do list".

That setup has been relegated to the "I might see if it's any good for a citrus oil steam distillation pile".

I will use the fores and any sacrificial runs for trangia fuel so I know how (in)visible spirit burners are.

I have the brezilla lid and seal and a 2" triclover fitting (feeling so much better about this already), now I'm taking my time to get some copper bits and pieces to build a decent 2" column still.
JeremyF

Return to Beginners Questions