Ruddy's Glass Still

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Ruddy's Glass Still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm

Good luck Bryan

You are definitely an ideas man, if it does not work at least you will be able to dig a hole. Hopefully it won’t fill with water :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 pm

If it fills with water , he can fill it in and plant cabbage, they love water :teasing-neener:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:16 am

G'Day Guy's,

Well due to working I didn't do any macerations :angry-banghead: so as my Quince ferment is finally done time do a few strip runs then a spirit run this arvo using the glass still.

So going a litre at a time it may take 3 or 4 runs to get enough low wines for the spirit run so this will be a good road test for this new setup :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as far as water goes whats the bet Wellsy put his pump on only to find he forgot to connect the hoses and is trying to shift the blame :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still also a 1-1/2" pot still and bubbler build happening

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:37 am

Just gotta throw in a pic guy's :laughing-rolling:

new setup.jpg

So looks like a day stripping while shaking my stubbie of dutch lager to keep a head :laughing-rolling: as it just starting to get moreish :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still also a 1-1/2" pot still and bubbler build happening

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well i got my vac 2000 out to clean out that crap in my boiler then looked over to see a corn/barely run I did with angel yeast and yes after aging white at 80% + it still tastes off so for a laugh threw just under a litre into the round flask with a bit of water added and see if I can refine this angel yeast stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft: as for on it's own white dog it just doesn't cut the mustard :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So lets see if this 40% myth is right :laughing-rolling: but as it has been quoted on this forum I am out of this world :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

More Saturday fun and if it goes pear shaped who cares as it's just too easy to go buy more gear and do it again :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 pm

I have to put in a note here as I am vacuum distilling I can go a higher ABV but in no circumstances go above 40% in your boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Well just had a taste and turned off the still and as far as I am concerned this angel yeast can go the chooks and i won't be using it again. honestly it was like trying to polish a turd so it was a fruitless exercise and this whole batch can be saved for a sac run in the future.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Have you soured your mash before fermentation yet? I reakon
Its the ducks nuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:06 pm

The oak seemed to remove the funkiness for me mate. That is what prompted me to do a few big runs before things got too hot.
Wellsy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:02 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well as the yard arm came around and nothing to distill in my big still a thought came to mind :scared-eek: I aint ever used that reflux I got with the still so may aswell spend the arvo making some nothing out of my TPW low wines

glass reflux.jpg

Heard a burp and looked over and this still is already producing so 15 minute warm up to first drops :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

Edit : take two :angry-banghead: using the Graham condensor does do a slight vacuum and just heard a huge gush and saw the reflux head close to hitting the roof :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

so when it cools down time to put the other condensor on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Previous

Return to Pot Stills