Questions about welding stainless

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Questions about welding stainless

Postby Dude » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:36 am

20210724_100902.jpg

This is what I use bluc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft: I am still few weeks away from starting. Still need few bits and pieces. Found the shop with the regulator thanks.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:21 pm

When jointing stainless to copper with filler wire do you use stainless or copper wire?

I realise most seem to just fusion but thought some filler would make for a nice flat join once sanded back?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:21 pm

bluc wrote:When jointing stainless to copper with filler wire do you use stainless or copper wire?

I realise most seem to just fusion but thought some filler would make for a nice flat join once sanded back?

Bluc I've never done this before and as I finally have a day off tomorrow I'll fire up my tig and try it using 309 SS filler rod. 309 is a good one for joining dissimilar metals and I have welded cast iron using 309 welding rods before with great success.

Just setup your new toys and have a go mate as that is the best way to learn instead of asking to be spoonfed every detail :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: if you stuffup well mate it's part of the learning curve and you can then say don't do it that way but if you do it again well mate the blonde cap will be put on few weeks :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Also a good fused joint should be nice and flat and no sanding needed.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:13 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: watching tube video some say fusing can leave a concave shape..
Itching to get started just gotta do some other stuff first..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Dude » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:33 pm

bluc wrote:When jointing stainless to copper with filler wire do you use stainless or copper wire?

I use silicone bronze. It is brazing rather than welding.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Dude » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:37 am

This is a before and after cleaning the stainless welds. I used a brush on product which does not require a poisons licence and works well. It took about 20 min then a quick rub with a piece of scotchbrite.
If it is allowed I will post the product and where I got it from.

mini size.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dude

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Eh Dude that a huge weld mate, now a trick i found when I was working in the food industry was to bend a filler rod around the joint then fuse the weld and keep the whirlpool under 5mm. If one purges the weld will be on both sides and be of food grade :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So try it mate and see just how well it works. It worked for me and I'm sure you will have great results so give it a go mate but the start tack I'll leave to you so you can learn.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:05 pm

Is that walking the cup bryan? Dude would be interested to hear bout that paste for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:16 pm

bluc wrote:Is that walking the cup Bryan? Dude would be interested to hear bout that paste for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes it is mate if the right size cup is chosen then it is a breeze :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Dude » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 am

Dude

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 am

I was wondering about that i spotted it a while back good to know it works :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby scythe » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:12 am

It's not so much the poisons licence that is the issue for me.
It's the hydrofluoric acid content.
And then the disposal of the now chromium containing wash water.
Maybe one day I should just kit up and use some.

I'm still liking the idea of using a product that is kind of safer.
Got an advertisement email from an industrial supplier the other day for what I think is a citric acid based cleaner.
Evapo-rust or something, but not sure how it would go on stainless...
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:59 am

Yea that hydrofluric acid sounds like nasty shit for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 am

Pick and Clean os s good product as well. I don’t know what state you are in, but the pickling paste we sell doesn’t need a hazardous goods license, we just can’t sell it to anyone under 16.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:02 am

Yeah the stuff is nasty, got it in my eye once, don’t do that.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 am

Practice practice pratice..
IMG_20220103_091220.jpg
bluc
Site Donor

Postby B-Man » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:46 pm

finally found the video of the tig tack I was asking about... I recorded a longer video but its 500mb so decided to cut a short piece out of it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VhcyzE ... sp=sharing

would love to be able to do my first basic tacks like that as or if I get into trouble I could fill a hole like that then get back into it...

also anyone reckon solar flux is good instead of back purging? my gas is 3/4 gone and I really haven't done that much welding and my back purging hasn't really worked to well.

have done a few welds now where I overcooked it and it has actually started to rust. like actual rust. any ideas on fixing it? have done a salt and vinegar mix with a 9v battery (actually hooked 3 together) to get it working faster and passivated it. not sure if it will fix it though. it did clean it up mostly.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:42 pm

bluc wrote:Practice practice pratice..
IMG_20220103_091220.jpg

My first thought was “my god his garden has been engulfed by slugs”
On closer inspection , those welds look kinda cool for “first timer”
Keep at it Bluc and you’ll be doing repairs for me before ya know it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:13 pm

Bluc the first thing I saw looking at the pic was that plate bent up like it was saying hello I'm alive :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Now for good practice sit 2 of those plates together and do some tacks about an inch apart then fuse weld it while keeping the plates flat :handgestures-thumbupleft: there is knack to it and everyone has their own way of doing it so give it a go mate and once you got that done and dusted cut some offcut 2" SS tube and have a go at that.

Practice and confidence is the way to get better and just think what I'm about to do will work out nicely :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench