4" modular pot still.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

4" modular pot still.

Postby tigersbeer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm

I saw in these forums some where a recommendation to buy one as a beginner. I have just ordered it and an adapter kit for my digiboil. I was told no instructions would be supplied and I should ask here. Well here I am looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.
tigersbeer

equipment: Reflux and pot

Re: 4" modular pot still.

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Make a sacrificial wash for cleaning now...
Its a coolant management still CM, Have a bit of a search on that and then ask some specifics if theres stuff not lining up for you
Last edited by RC Al on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm

He has ordered the 4” modular Pot Still
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Lols
Saw modular 8-}

So the first bit is still valid..

Have a bash at a bwko wash or similar, you will need aprox 3 boiler loads to strip to do a worthwhile spirit run.

You drive a pot still with your voltage controller, go fast stripping, for a spirit run limit the output to about 1 to 1.5 litre per hour if your putting it on a 25l boiler, 2ish or so on a 50l.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:22 pm

You have ordered a fabulous piece of gear mate, very simple to use and makes a quality product.

Just be a bit careful when you put the still on the boiler mate it is a little unstable and the lid can flex a little so I use a couple of pieces of wood to stabilise it. If the boiler is empty it can even tip it over. Anything you want to know just ask.

I would suggest taking the parrot off for stripping runs and for spirit runs I have always run my 4 inch around the 2 litres an hour, not sure if that is fast or slow but it works for me.

It goes together simply when you look at the pic on the site lol.

Enjoy the journey.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby tigersbeer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:06 pm

Only have a pure distilling reflux still and a useless alcoengine pot still. Don't even know what a parrot is yet. More study, thanks.
tigersbeer

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 pm

The kind of Parrot your getting will never need a cage :laughing-rolling:
But Polly will give you so much info and never ask for a cracker
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tigersbeer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:18 am

Yes, just googled parrot. Very handy. I guess I cant just do a distilled water run as a cleaning run/first run.
tigersbeer

Postby warramungas » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:26 am

tigersbeer wrote:Yes, just googled parrot. Very handy. I guess I cant just do a distilled water run as a cleaning run/first run.

You could but you're better off using alcohol to help dissolve any oils. The other option Ive used in the past is the missus's dishwasher which does a top job too and Ive used gear straight from that with no problems.
Last edited by warramungas on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:58 am

Tigers you need to look at what you are trying to do mate. You are looking to produce a nice high quality brown spirit. To do that you will let it age for 1 year perhaps 2 even, yes it is hard to believe you will wait that long but you will once you have plenty. Now imagine the disappointment of tasting an off flavour after waiting 2 years only to realise this was part of the first run you did after you decided not to do a sacrifice run. 2 years wasted to save what mate.
Once the still is cleaned the first time you will be set to go. Use the sacrifice run as a learning run , see how the parrot works, set things up so you can swap jars and drain the parrot easily. All these things sound obvious but they sometimes get overlooked. You will always get caught out. This morning I am doing a stripping run into my big 3.8 litre collection jar. Why won’t it fill properly, oh look at that the tap is open, derr, we all do it and on the first run if it is sacrificial you won’t panic trying to get the maximum collection. It has been said before but this is definitely a hurry up and wait hobby mate. At the end of the day however it is what works for you and you are best placed to make those decisions
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby tigersbeer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:12 am

Ok. I have some turbo left so I'll get rid of it that way. Thanks heaps. Don't have it yet so got no idea about draining the parrot but hopefully work it out.
tigersbeer

Postby tigersbeer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 am

By the way, I have made plenty of neutral and aged in oak for about a year. Just want to do it properly this time with grains etc.
tigersbeer

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:57 am

You will be amazed at the difference, not necessarily better depending on your taste but a much deeper, richer flavour.
The trick then is to tinker to get it from great to perfect. That is where the art is and that is where 20 years of your life could disappear lol. Sent you a private message as well mate see if you can work out how to read them :)
Wellsy

Postby tigersbeer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Replied to your private message. Just don't know if you got it or I sent it to myself lol.
tigersbeer

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Don’t feel bad mate I sent three messages to myself instead of you.

Luckily the pot still is so much easier to use than the pm system lol
Wellsy

Return to Beginners Questions